Saturday, March 18, 2006

Although this is the first picture, it will be the last one in this blog. Guy finished putting the engine back in at 10 PM last night. I've put over a hundred miles on the bike this morning. Gassed, and got exactly 43 mpg. Set up is 168 main jet, 46 pilot, 3 turns out on mixture screw. using a stock needle and a plastic slide in the carb. Vance and Hines Pro pipe, Dyna 3 ignition, SCP adaptor and Forcewinder intake. Pulls smooth and strong at all RPM's, flattens out at 100 mph, not a lot left after that. No oil leaks, handles well and is very comfortable to ride. I'm ready for AZ bike week!
Left side of bike, Charleston boat harbor,

Friday, March 17, 2006

Guy works fast! The parts to repair the oil leaks came in this afternoon. Guy had to leave for a Doctor's appointment then, but he came home, installed the seal, washers and clips, the new alternator cover gasket, and stuffed the engine back into the frame. He's just finishing up putting the frame back together. By late Saturday morning, it will be completely finished. He'll give it a test ride to check and see how the new carb setting turned out, and I'll be heading up to Reedsport to ride it home....happy, happy!
Here's the right side. By noon tomorrow, I'll be blasting down the road towards home. I'd like to put a couple hundred miles on it before loading for the AZ bikeweek trip. No problem if the rain will hold off for a day or two.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

This is a picture of the wiring harhess after Guy repaired it and re-routed it to the proper position. As soon as the new parts come in, the engine will go back into the frame of the bike.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Guy has just discovered the oil leak. The shift shaft was loose, and oil was seeping from around the seal. We have ordered a new seal, new snap rings and washers that will go in the Alternator cover along with a new gasket. We also started from ground zero and went through the carb. Going with a 168 main jet, 46 pilot, and will play with the mixture after it's up and running. The carb had a stock needle, which is good, and a plastic slide which isn't the best. I may go to the Harley shop and see if I can get a stock CV slide to put in it. Although the plastic one works all right, it's so light that it can slightly bounce and cause poor gas mileage. This is inside the temporary Sherm's Cycle Products building. Guy Mobbley is doing the work, he's the new owner.
A side picture. Guy is explaining to me how he modified the air box on this VN2000. It took top time of the event in it's class at Bonneville last September. Paid $1000 bucks! This year, there will be a class for these metric bikes to go for a world land speed record. Guy will be there with Butch Cook riding again. This bike belongs to Kawasaki, on loan to Motorcycle USA. Sherm's Cycle Products will do all the work on it. By the way, Guy Mobbley is the new owner of Sherm's.
You may have to click on the picture to enlarge it, but you can see two completely bare wires in the harness. There is more damage farther down too. This is what happens when the cable doesn't get put back in the stock routing brackets. The rotor tore up the insulation. I'm hoping it will still be charging when it's all back together. The shorting may have fryed something else in the system, but won't know until we can run it and make tests. New stator still looks fine, but the bike was only ridden about 40 miles since it was installed.
The Forcewinder intake. The carb will be getting some attention, and the brackets will be realigned and stiffened up some. If there's time, we may run the vent from the float bowl back into the intake to prevent fuel lock. May have to do this later since I need the bike as soon as possible.
A 1500 Classic minus the squirrel cage. The little critters just couldn't run fast enough, so we're going to put in a small Poodle cage for more power.
The engine is very clean inside. Looks lonely sitting on Guy's jack.